Thumbsucking and braces

Home Forums Teenagers Thumbsucking and braces

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Carolsays 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• April 30, 2018 at 5:31 am #7061

Hello,
    I am a mother of a 14-year-old and I always knew that my child would end up wearing braces because he wouldn’t stop sucking his thumbs. He sucked his thumb till he was 10. Now he has plenty of crooked teeth and he blames it on genetics. I don’t know how to convince him. We all have almost perfectly aligned teeth on both sides of the family. We had gone to an orthodontist in Houston to get his braces fixed and he told my son about the consequences of sucking his fingers and the extended use of pacifiers. In fact, it wouldn’t have been so crooked if he had stopped sucking his thumb a long time ago. Even if it is a comforting measure for children out there, thumb sucking needs to be monitored and parents need to somehow convince their kids to drop this habit. Otherwise, they will have to seek help from dentists and wear braces for a while. Our dentist told us that extended thumb sucking is the main reason for buck teeth and poor bites. I just wanted to share this with all the parents out there. Hoping it would help you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.