By: Sue Anganes
Some of you may remember that on one of my previous posts I had mentioned that I had joined a gym shortly after my youngest son graduated high school. My homeschooling days were done, and I had time on my hands to do more things for myself. Well it’s been three and a half months now, and I’ve gotten into a good gym routine. Most weeks I’ve been to the gym four days, and sometimes I’ve been five. I’ve been more active overall, and I’m feeling great. I have lost some weight, but that was not my primary reason for joining. I mostly wanted to gain some strength and stay healthy.
I had avoided joining a gym for a long time because I really was afraid to go. I expected everyone there would be young and fit with perfect bodies, but that was not the case. There are all ages and sizes at the gym, and everyone I have met is helpful and supportive. As a newcomer I’ve never felt embarrassed or intimidated. The gym has certainly strengthened me physically, but has also given me a mental boost. I feel stronger and better about myself, and it’s given me confidence in my abilities. I was never an athletic person, but I certainly am now!
If you have the funds and time to join a gym, I would certainly recommend it.
- If you are embarrassed to work out in a coed gym, find a gym that has a women’s only room.
- You don’t need expensive workout clothes. Most things you can even find on Amazon or at Target. Except for a rare few, most people in the gym are not wearing fancy gym clothes.
- Good quality gym shoes are a must. If your feet hurt, everything else seems to hurt too!
- Buy a cheap set of Bluetooth headphones and have a dance party in your head on the elliptical machine!
- Bring a big water bottle
- Don’t be afraid to ask someone how the equipment works. Everyone was new to the gym at some point in time and everyone seems happy to help.
- You may eventually want to invest in a Fitbit or other type of smart watch. It is a great motivator and an excellent way to keep track of your progress.
- Some gyms offer childcare so look into that if you have preschool children.
- Have fun!