By: Amy Dienta
I LOVE mac and cheese but all the pasta and cheese doesn’t work well with my New Years resolution to lose weight! To make it a little healthier, I updated the recipe with veggies and low fat cheese. Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 1 head cauliflower or 16 oz. frozen cauliflower (or you can substitute broccoli)
- 4 oz. fat free cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fat free half and half (milk will work)
- 8 oz. low fat shredded cheddar (divided)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Cook the cauliflower until tender; drain well.
- In a 1 1/2 quart casserole, mix cream cheese, 4 oz. cheddar, and cream. Stir well until cream cheese is creamy and smooth.
- Stir in the green onions, salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower and gently fold into the cheese sauce to coat well. Adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Top with the remaining 4 ounces cheese and bake at 350º for 35 minutes, until bubbly and brown on top.
Makes 4-6 servings
Can be frozen